Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Decorated Eggs


Easter Eggs, originally uploaded by Honduras Sprout.

I know it's a month past Easter, but I never got a chance to show off the Easter Eggs we made here.
In Honduras they don't celebrate Easter with much candy, bunnies and chocolate as in the states. We could not find anything to decorate Easter eggs either. You know those little kits you can buy with the little coloring pellets. Thanks to my sister she showed me a website that gave some really fun ways to decorate with things around the house. The decorating was fun and the eggs turned out really pretty, don't you think?

But one thing happened that I didn't expect. There was this film like stuff that made the dyes not stick well to the eggs. There was lots of peeling and flaking. I was curious why this was happening. Then I started thinking how in Honduras eggs are not kept in the refrigerated section of the grocery stores. They are kept out on the shelf at room temp. Why? A little strange for me at first to see, but now I'm used to seeing it. Then it occurred to me that this film that I was seeing while decorating my eggs must be removed in the states when they are cleaned, sanded and bleached to be perfectly white removing the protective coating making them more perishable. Thus, needing refrigeration.

Okay, that's my theory. Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought the eggs were pretty enough to share the photo.

5 comments:

xtina said...

You're right about the eggs, the natural waxy protective coating is why they are not refrigerated unless they've been washed and had that removed. Eggs from waterfowl have a much more pronounced and noticeable coating. Beautiful eggs!

Joanna said...

The eggs look great!

Steve Smith said...

In Guamilito market they sell decorated eggshells filled with confetti that work as Easter eggs. Our kids had to bring them to school before Easter where they smash over each other's heads.

Jennifer said...

I love the eggs. What was the website that you mentioned on here?

~Jennifer

Honduras Sprout said...

Here is the website I used. Sorry I'm not good at adding HTML links, so maybe you can copy and paste.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/holidays/easter/eggdesign/eggs2000.html